The scheme Maharashtra Settlement of Arrears of Tax, interest, penalty or late fee scheme 2022

Amnesty Scheme

The Government of Maharashtra on 11th of March 2022 has announced “the Amnesty Scheme 2022” to settle the various Old cases of Sales Tax Department. Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister, Mr. Ajit Pawar announces Amesty Scheme for Sales Tax Matters on 11th March, 2022. The due date for settlement of Sales Tax Cases will be applicable from April 1st, 2022 to September 30th, 2022.

The State Government has notified the Maharashtra Settlement of Arrears of Tax, Interest, Penalty or Late Fee Scheme, 2022.

The State Government is of the view that since the past two years, the whole world has been suffering from pandemic that has effected the business and entrepreneurs so hard that many business is closed forever. Pandemic has had an adverse effect on economic growth of our Country. In order to provide relief to the industry and business sector, The Amnesty Scheme, 2022 on various taxes levied by the Sales Tax Department before the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax (GST Act, 2017) is introduced.

The Amnesty scheme, 2022 is applicable to all the pending dues for the periods up to 31/06/2017 i.e. before introduction of GST Act, 2017. In opt in for this scheme, the appeal filed by the dealers up till 31st March, 2022 will have to be withdrawn unconditionally.

The Amnesty Scheme, 2022 provided relief to dealers in two parts i.e.

  1. Arrears up to INR 10.000 or less per year as per any statutory order passed under the various tax laws implemented by the department are waived off completely. As a result, small dealers will be benefited in almost 1 lakh cases.

  • Dealers having arrears as on the 1st April, 2022 up to INR 10 lakhs or less as will have the option to pay a lump sum amount of 20% of the total arrears. Waiver will be granted to the remaining 80% of the arrears. As a result medium dealers will benefit in almost 2.20 lakh cases.

  • Other Dealers having Sales Tax dues above INR 10 lakhs or above who would not opt for lumpsum option will have to pay 100% of the undisputed tax, 30% of the disputed tax, 10% of the interest and 5% of the penalty for the periods up to 31st March 2005. For the periods from 1st April 2005 to 30th June 2017, this proportion would be 50% of the disputed tax, 15% of the interest and 5% of the penalty. Upon payment as per the aforesaid proportions. the balance arrears shall be waived.

In order to avail the benefits of this Amnesty Scheme, 2022, Dealer has to pay the required amount at one time within the stipulated time period mentioned above. However, the dealers having arrears of more than Rs. 50 lakhs have been provided an option to pay the requisite arrears in Instalments.